What are the benefits of advertising?
Perhaps the oldest and most common form of marketing, advertising is a very broad term that can cover any paid-for message to promote a brand, product or service. It is common for advertising to form a core part of marketing plans for businesses of all sizes, whether it’s a multi-million pound TV campaigns for global brand or a print advert in a local newspaper classified section for a small business. Advertising can offer a simple way to reach either a mass audience through ‘above-the-line’ channels such as TV, out-of-home (OOH) or print advertising, or a highly-targeted audience through ‘below-the-line’ channels such as digital advertising, email or SMS marketing. Depending on your budgets and objectives, there are a wide range of channels available, usually the channels reaching a mass audience are great for brand building but harder to measure a direct return on investment such as sales. Whereas more focused channels such as digital advertising are highly accountable and can measure exactly how many times your advert has been seen, how many people have clicked on it, and from there how they interacted with your website or e-commerce platform, even down to the detail of individual sales generated.
Creating an effective Advertising Campaign
The key to any successful advertising campaigns is a really good brief, lots of businesses rush in or are pressurised by highly skilled sales people to book an advert in their local paper or perhaps an advert on Google or Facebook, without much thought as to what their objectives are or how they will measure success. If you want an advertisement or campaign to really work for you and your company then you need to be clear about what you are trying to do, whether it’s raise brand awareness, drive footfall to your shop, or generate online leads or sales etc. Working with you, we can help to develop a really clear brief with some solid key performance indicators (KPIs), then we’ll have a look into the different advertising channels and formats available and recommend a media plan to help you reach the right audience, within your budget and timeline.
A few advertising channels to consider
- TV advertising – this is usually reserved for bigger budgets, but you would be surprised at what deals can be snapped up with some more obscure channels (but still massive audiences) who are looking to shift some last minute space.
- Print advertising – advertising in magazines and newspapers has been around for decades, and for good reason, this is still a really effective way to reach your audience, whether locally or nationally. We can help you to negotiate the best possible rates on your print adverts.
- Digital display advertising – this is the kind of banner adverts you’ll be used to seeing appearing around websites, this can be booked with individual sites or across networks to reach highly targeted audiences. We will help you to explore which options would work best for your campaign targets.
- Out-Of-Home (OOH) advertising – this outdoor ambient format includes things like traditional printed or electronic billboards, bus stops, tube stations etc. There are lots of unique and creative options available, no matter what the geographical location.
- Pay-Per-Click (PPC) – The most commonly used example of this is Google’s adwords platform, these are the adverts that you see at the top or on the right-hand side of your search engine results. These can be tailored to any search term and to display a message of your choosing.
- Social media advertising – most social media platforms offer some form of paid-for adverts or sponsored posts to help reach their enormous audiences, this has grown considerably over recent years and can work well in conjunction with other more traditional digital media.
If you’re looking to boost your business with an advertising campaign, then why not challenge us to have a look at your objectives and build a plan for you, simply drop us a line on the Contact Us page here.